(also bunya pine or bunya-bunya)
A tall coniferous Australian tree of the monkey puzzle family that bears large cones containing edible seeds.
- Araucaria bidwillii, family Araucariaceae
More example sentences
- Although his stand generated much publicity, the fate of the bunya pine and other trees remained uncertain, with last-minute negotiations coming to a close between the city council and Woolworth's at press time.
- Who's for savoring emu, kangaroo, or skate wing dusted with bunya nut?
- As the seasons came round, they gathered for feasts of bogong moths or bunya nuts.
mid 19th century: from Wiradhuri.
Definition of bunya in:
- The British & World English dictionary