(also bunya pine or bunya-bunya)
Definition of bunya in English:
A tall coniferous Australian tree of the monkey puzzle family that bears large cones containing edible seeds.
- Araucaria bidwillii, family Araucariaceae
- Although his stand generated much publicity, the fate of the bunya pine and other trees remained uncertain, with last-minute negotiations coming to a close between the city council and Woolworth's at press time.
- Who's for savoring emu, kangaroo, or skate wing dusted with bunya nut?
- As the seasons came round, they gathered for feasts of bogong moths or bunya nuts.
Mid 19th century: from Wiradhuri.
Words that rhyme with bunyagunyah
Definition of bunya in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.