A North American oak, with large fringed acorn cups. Its timber was formerly important in shipbuilding. Also called mossycup oak.
- Quercus macrocarpa, family Fagaceae
More example sentences
- I want to collect the large acorns from a bur oak near my home.
- Because they are rich in carbohydrates and fats, the bur oak's acorns are the number one ‘fruit’ consumed by wildlife.
- But in this early stage of the 21st century, the bur oak still serves important ecological needs.
Definition of bur oak in:
- The British & World English dictionary