Definition of bur oak in English:
A North American oak, with large fringed acorn cups. Its timber was formerly important in shipbuilding. Also called mossycup oak.
- Quercus macrocarpa, family Fagaceae
- I want to collect the large acorns from a bur oak near my home.
- Because they are rich in carbohydrates and fats, the bur oak's acorns are the number one ‘fruit’ consumed by wildlife.
- But in this early stage of the 21st century, the bur oak still serves important ecological needs.
Definition of bur oak in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan