A large herbaceous Old World plant of the daisy family. The hook-bearing flowers become woody burrs after fertilization and cling to animals' coats for seed dispersal.
- Genus Arctium, family Compositae: several species, including the large-leaved great burdock (A. lappa), which has edible roots and is used in herbal medicine
More example sentences
- Some of the other weeds safe for eating include chicory, burdock, purslane, Queen Anne's Lace, and sorrel.
- Oligosaccharides are present in vegetables such as Jerusalem artichokes, burdock, chicory, leeks, onions, and asparagus, and of course beans.
- Herb sources of B complex vitamins are dandelion, fenugreek, parsley, alfalfa, watercress, cayenne, burdock and sage.
Definition of burdock in:
- The British & World English dictionary