Definition of burg in English:
1An ancient or medieval fortress or walled town.
- Archeologists & geologists now believe the ancient burgs of Sodom & Gomorrah were destroyed by earthquake-induced fires - and not, as science has long held, by the wrath of an angry god.
- Kate looked once more at the dead soldiers, at the burg wall beyond, and sorrowfully turned to follow.
- The Old English (Anglo-Saxon) terms burg, burh, and byrig were used originally for fortified places, including villages and royal halls.
1.1North American informal A town or city.
- From Shreveport to Ferriday and all points in between, along the backwater burgs and the big city haunts, the myth of the Big Easy is examined in this exhaustive overview.
- For two hours or so, 17-year-olds become as important as city council members in burgs like Mechanicsburg, Pa.
- About a dozen baseball-themed museums beckon visitors to big-league cities and out-of-the-way burgs.
Definition of burg in:
- British & World English dictionary