Definition of burgoo in English:
1North American A stew or thick soup, typically made for an outdoor meal.
- Among our fans, he is as popular as burgoo and as recognizable as the Keeneland logo.
- Mutton gives the burgoo the same oomph that squirrel and other wild game formerly provided.
- Legend has it that burgoo can be kept going for months and any kind of meat from squirrel, rabbit, venison, and bear can be used.
1.1An outdoor meal at which burgoo is served.
- They were invited to ‘a burgoo,’ according to A Treasury of Southern Folklore by B.A. Botkin.
- The money from the burgoos was earmarked for air conditioning the new hall and for the philanthropies of Council 4175.
- There is so much sheer life in this potpourri of feudin' and foxin' horseflesh and womanflesh, verse and rime, superstition, burgoos, and jokes.
1.2chiefly Nautical A thick porridge.
- Me mam once said that burgoo (porridge) will "put a skin on your belly like velvet."
- In the British Royal Navy, Burgoo refers to a thick oatmeal gruel or porridge.
- Burgoo was originally a thin gruel or porridge made by sailors in the 17th century.
from Arabic burġul.
Words that rhyme with burgooTelugu
Definition of burgoo in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan