nounchiefly North American
- 1Coarse canvas woven from jute, hemp, or a similar fiber, used especially for sacking.More example sentences
- Her large installation consisted of 16 columns made of various fabrics, including canvas, jute and burlap, the edges of which were charred and the expanses of which were often painted.
- They were made from second-hand jute burlap and scraps of fabric pulled from ragbags and storage bins.
- Set stakes before filling the planting hole, then tie the tree to the stakes with canvas or burlap strips.
- 1.1A material similar to burlap but lighter, used in dressmaking and furnishing: [as modifier]: a burlap shirt fabrics ranging from hessians to burlapsMore example sentences
- Plenty of people were missing eyes, and he was clad in an uncomfortable woolen shirt and burlap pants that were dyed a moss green.
- He was not terrifying in the least in his appearance; his shirt was made of burlap and his boots were muddy and his trousers were patched.
- Grab an orange shirt, green pants, hiking shoes, burlap fabric, and two pairs of green tights.
late 17th century: of unknown origin.