Definition of burner in English:
1A thing that burns something or is burned, in particular.
- Though the USA remains the number one fuel burner.
- Generally described, the dual air-current burner consists of two cylindrical tubes of different diameters and different lengths.
- We replaced this with a war surplus, gasoline burner, field-type, autoclave for approximately $45.
1.1A part of a stove, lamp, etc., that emits and shapes a flame.
- The blue flames of all four burners on the stainless steel hearth are flicked to high.
- Thirteen of us working for five hours in a closed kitchen with molten sugar, hot burners, and open flames.
- The cooker automatically cuts off the gas supply if the burner is accidentally extinguished.
1.2An apparatus in which a fuel is used or an aromatic substance is heated.
- Always interested in the animal mysteries of China, Texier has created bronzes similar to ancient Chinese sculptures, where hippos or oxen carry incense burners on their back.
- The ceramic work of Lee Jeong Do reinterpreted such items as pen rests, incense burners, brush hangers and ink stones.
- Then they are siphoned off into a secondary burner where they are heated to 1,000 degrees, and in that process are destroyed.
1.3 [with adjective] An activity that uses something of a specified kind as energy: uphill walking is a great calorie burner
More example sentences
- Very aerobic-biassed, I guess, but at least they are all calorie burners, so they would have got rid of the remnants of the cake we ate at Trevor and Jon's this evening.
- ‘Jumping rope is one of the highest calorie burners,’ Kleinberg says.
- As efficient calorie burners go, running pretty much dominates the scene, and running in the right shoes keeps your legs healthy and your exercise program on track.
1.4 short for CD burner.
- The design for the PC's various components are in flux, with hard drives, DVD burners, video cards, memory and motherboards all being reworked.
- It was pretty, but also slow and notably devoid of drivers for CD-ROM burners, DVD players and other peripherals essential to the modern desktop computing experience.
- Home/business users will want both a DVD-ROM drive and a CD burner, and possibly a DVD burner.
1.5 informal A handgun.
on the back (or front) burner
- informal Having low (or high) priority: he wants the matter to be put on the back burnerMore example sentences
- For the moment I'm going to have to shove the whole question on the back burner and stop thinking about it.
- Singapore has reciprocated by putting several disputes on the back burner.
- He went on to say that he had absolutely no doubt that the issue would have been put on the back burner by the Government without the campaign.
Words that rhyme with burnerAnnapurna, discerner, earner, learner, Myrna, Smyrna, spurner, taverna, turner, Verner, Werner, yearner
Definition of burner in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan