noun (plural same or burrfishes)
A porcupine fish with spines that are permanently erected, occurring in tropical waters of the Atlantic and Pacific.
- Genus Chilomycterus, family Diodontidae: several species, including the common striped burrfish (C. schoepfi) of the western Atlantic
More example sentences
- This fish is known as a yellow-spotted burrfish or Cyclichthys spilostylus.
- A spiny burrfish is over-optimistic about staying hidden in the dark.
- Covered in corals and sponges, it is a colourful environment stacked with sea-horses, young spiny burrfish and cornetfish.
Definition of burrfish in:
- The British & World English dictionary