Definition of bursty in English:
adjectiveinformal or technical
1Occurring at intervals in short sudden episodes or groups.
- Internet traffic flows can be bursty, and it's important to ensure that bursts headed to one subscriber do not affect service provided to others.
- A ton of customers can go through this pipe, especially in the bursty data world.
- This is particularly important for data communications because of the discontinuous and bursty nature of the traffic.
1.1Relating to or denoting the transmission of data in short separate bursts of signals.
- Packet switching is best suited for transmitting bursty data traffic that is not affected by delays.
- This allows carriers to map packet data into arbitrarily sized TDM pipes-for example, taking bursty Ethernet traffic and mapping it into a fixed bandwidth channel.
- It is important to separate LAN and SAN traffic to allow bulk data transfer to occur on the SAN without any affect from bursty, less predictable LAN traffic.
Definition of bursty in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.