Definition of burying beetle in English:
A black beetle that typically has broad orange bands on its wing cases. It buries small animal carcasses to provide a food store for its larvae. Also called sexton beetle.
- Nicrophorus and other genera, family Silphidae
- Dental floss was tied to a stake at one end and to the hind leg of the carcass at the other to facilitate locating the carcass after displacement by burying beetles.
- Each of the black pots contains a rotting quail carcass covered in soil and swarming with the larvae of American burying beetles.
- There are isolated examples in nature: the American burying beetle watches its larvae, and male fish do the majority of egg guarding and cleaning.
Definition of burying beetle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan