Definition of bushmaster in English:
A pit viper that is the largest venomous snake in the New World, found in Central and South America.
- Lachesis muta, family Viperidae
- Ever since I was a kid names like fer-de-lance and bushmaster have been magical to me.
- José Antonio prays for guidance and, lifting his eyes, recognizes the snake: it is a bushmaster.
- He also finds some of the rare and unique snakes in his journey, which includes eyelash viper, the fer de lance and the bushmaster.
Early 19th century: perhaps from obsolete Dutch boschmeester (now bosmeester), from bos 'bush' + meester 'master'.
Definition of bushmaster in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan