1(Of a person) carrying out tasks efficiently without wasting time or being distracted by personal or other concerns; systematic and practical: his brisk, businesslike tone
More example sentences
- We believe we should get a more professional, businesslike approach as a result of that, and I believe there will be a closer look at roading and the rail-track.
- Last week, with scarcely a lifted eyebrow, that changed to the more businesslike approach that we are all grown-ups together and should behave as such.
- We have seen a change over the last probably 10 or so years to a certainly more businesslike approach to pastoral enterprises.
1.1(Of clothing, furniture, etc.) designed or appearing to be practical rather than decorative.
- Although the navy blue suit no longer rules the business fashion world, businesslike clothing is making a comeback.
- He was tall, had shoulder-length black hair, and wore a very businesslike suit with a white shirt and a black and white stripped tie, which made him look like a stern president of a very large corporation.
- Madeline was dressed professionally and fashionably, in a businesslike skirt and blouse.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.