Definition of busman in English:
noun (plural busmen)
A driver of a bus.
- Private busmen and co-drivers try to intimidate you, especially if a woman is behind the wheel.
- The first results came from London Transport busmen and showed ‘an extraordinary difference between the drivers and the conductors on double decker buses.’
- The 29 cyclists joined Keighley & District Travel's three busmen, who are cycling from John O'Groats to Land's End, on the five-mile challenge to race the train between Keighley and Oxenhope stations on Sunday.
a busman's holiday
- A vacation or form of recreation that involves doing the same thing that one does at work.Example sentences
- It is a working summer holiday, a busman's holiday - you come over, get muddy and call it a holiday.
- Indeed, it would be hard to think of a more clubbable bunch than the society of nations, with their endless get-togethers and busman's holidays.
- I've had eight years with the under-21s and regard it as a busman's holiday.
Words that rhyme with busmanbusmen, dustman, dustmen
Definition of busman in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan