Definition of bustard in English:
A large, heavily built, swift-running bird, found in open country in the Old World. The males of most bustards have a spectacular courtship display.
- Family Otididae: several genera and species, including the great bustard (Otis tarda), which is the heaviest flying land bird
- Apart from the globally-extinct great auk, the bustard is the only bird known to have bred in Britain that hasn't done so in recent times.
- Certain large-bodied flying birds, such as bustards, pelicans, and vultures, pneumatize virtually the entire skeleton, out to the tips of the wings.
- This kind of hunting, in which the falcons are trained to attack much larger birds, is one reason bustards are threatened throughout much of their range.
Definition of bustard in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan