nounNorth American & • technical
- An isolated hill with steep sides and a flat top (similar to but narrower than a mesa).More example sentences
- Located in southeastern Utah, Canyonlands encompasses high mesas and buttes, burnt red sandstone pinnacles and arches, and a myriad of canyons and deep gorges cut by the Green and Colorado Rivers.
- He explained the difference between the mesas and buttes in the distance and challenged us to find images of birds, couples dancing joyfully, and snakes in the sticklike forms of petroglyphs.
- The park shows off some of the most striking landscapes of sandstone buttes, mesas, and spires in the entire Southwest.
mid 19th century: from French, 'mound', from Old French but, of unknown origin (compare with butt2).
More definitions of ButteDefinition of butte in:
- The British & World English dictionary