Definition of butter in English:
A pale yellow edible fatty substance made by churning cream and used as a spread or in cooking.
- They are served hot or cold spread with butter or margarine and sometimes jelly jam and cream.
- We defined high fat dairy food as whole milk, ice cream, hard cheese, butter, and sour cream.
- Dairy products such as butter, cream, and cheese are important parts of the diet, along with pork.
verb[with object] Back to top
Spread (something) with butter: she buttered the toast (as adjective buttered) lavishly buttered bread
More example sentences
- Apryl half-heartedly smiled back as she picked up a slice of toast and buttered it.
- Janice had made her two slices of toast and buttered them, and set them on the counter by the door, wrapped in a paper towel.
- She said: ‘I was buttering a piece of bread and I just dropped what I was doing.’
look as if butter wouldn't melt in one's mouth
- informal Appear gentle or innocent while typically being the opposite.Example sentences
- At home, he's placid and gentle and happy and looks as if butter wouldn't melt in his mouth.
- Because, while he may often look as if butter wouldn't melt in his mouth, underneath the boyish appearance and the trappings of trendiness, there is a genuinely steely determination that has to be admired.
- For all they look as if butter wouldn't melt in their mouths, they're an un-Christian lot.
butter someone up
- informal Flatter or otherwise ingratiate oneself with someone.Example sentences
- ‘Magic Valley's industrial dairies try to butter us up with sweet talk and promises,’ the ad begins, ‘but the reality is as different as milk and molasses.’
- His strategy now is to frustrate Dookeran, muzzle Yetming and see if Jack can be buttered up.
- ‘See, he phones people just to say hello, but he's only buttering you up so he can ask you favours later,’ he continued.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India