Definition of buttercup in English:
A herbaceous plant with bright yellow cup-shaped flowers, common in grassland and as a garden weed. All kinds are poisonous and generally avoided by livestock.
- Genus Ranunculus, family Ranunculaceae (the buttercup family): numerous species, including the very familiar common buttercup (R. acris). This large family also includes anemones, celandines, aconites, clematises, and hellebores, many of which have poisonous seeds
- Some rivals of the purple lilac included the buttercup, goldenrod, Mayflower, wood lily, purple aster, apple blossom, and the evening primrose.
- One afternoon, on the anniversary of the day she was taken from her family's home, Irina walked through a field of flowers - daisies and buttercups, poppies and sunflowers.
- I recall clutching colorful handfuls of pale blue cornflowers, dainty yellow buttercups, fragrant pink wild roses and yes - golden black-eyed Susans.
Definition of buttercup in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan