Definition of buttermilk in English:
1The slightly sour liquid left after butter has been churned, used in baking or consumed as a drink.
- I'm no pastry chef, but I tweaked and tasted, from all-purpose to cake flour, buttermilk to sour cream, baking powder to soda, recipe to recipe.
- Ingredients that are suitable for supplying acidity to marinades: wine, vinegar, soy sauce, citrus juice, buttermilk, or yogurt.
- Strains are available for a range of desired properties; for instance, there are designated classes of cultures for use in cheese starter cultures, yogurt, milk, buttermilk and sour cream.
1.1A pale yellow color (used especially to describe paint or wallpaper): [as modifier]: buttermilk paintwork
More example sentences
- Her mother and father walked in from different doors on either side of their buttermilk yellow kitchen.
- Not at all; paprika and buttermilk are the two gorgeous colours used to give the Clubhouse at Oldgrange a makeover recently!
- The kitchen units are painted a pleasing buttermilk colour, with an almost amber rich wooden work surface.
Words that rhyme with buttermilkLiebfraumilch • volk
Definition of buttermilk in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan