- A carnivorous bog plant that has violet flowers borne above a rosette of yellowish-green greasy leaves that trap and digest small insects. It is native to both Eurasia and North America.
More example sentences
- Genus Pinguicula, family Lentibulariaceae: several species, in particular the common butterwort (P. vulgaris)
- Skylarks sang over the wetlands, carnivorous butterworts were in violet flower and cotton grass fluffed up the land.
- The violet flowers of butterworts nod manically at the roadside, seeming too delicate for this windswept terrain.
- There are many more plants that will thrive in medium light, among them Irish moss, Tahitian bridal veil, heart-leaved philodendron, pitcher plant, and butterwort.
late 16th century.
More definitions of butterwortDefinition of butterwort in:
- The British & World English dictionary