Definition of butterwort in English:
A carnivorous bog plant that has violet flowers borne above a rosette of yellowish-green greasy leaves that trap and digest small insects. It is native to both Eurasia and North America.
- Genus Pinguicula, family Lentibulariaceae: several species, in particular the common butterwort (P. vulgaris)
- Skylarks sang over the wetlands, carnivorous butterworts were in violet flower and cotton grass fluffed up the land.
- The violet flowers of butterworts nod manically at the roadside, seeming too delicate for this windswept terrain.
- There are many more plants that will thrive in medium light, among them Irish moss, Tahitian bridal veil, heart-leaved philodendron, pitcher plant, and butterwort.
late 16th century.
Definition of butterwort in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan