Definition of buzzard in English:
1A large hawklike bird of prey with broad wings and a rounded tail, typically seen soaring in wide circles.
- Family Accipitridae: several genera, in particular Buteo, and including the common (Eurasian) buzzard (B. buteo)
- Among birds of prey, buzzards and hawks of the genus Buteo are an extremely successful group that is widely distributed, being absent only in Australia, Antarctica, and most parts of the oriental region.
- In the barn (one of only a handful that have not been developed in the locality) there are nesting pairs of barn owls, and sparrow hawks, while buzzards and peregrine falcons are regular visitors to the woods.
- After owls, U.K. government figures identify kestrels, common buzzards, and peregrine falcons as other raptors most likely to end up as roadkill.
1.1North American A North American vulture, especially a turkey vulture.
- In an ironic foreshadowing of a pivotal courtroom scene that will put Janie at the mercy of human vultures, the hungry buzzards focus on the ‘yaller’ mule.
- The common buzzard bears little resemblance to the vulture (not shown), which is a buzzard in nicknameonly.
- Her husband developed congestive heart failure and experienced frequent hallucinations while in the hospital, including an especially haunting mirage of buzzards circling above him.
Definition of buzzard in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan