1The transfer of a competitor directly to the next round of a competition in the absence of an assigned opponent.
- All 16 seeded players received byes into the second round.
- Where's the justice in eliminating more non-league teams in the qualifying rounds than is necessary, only for league clubs to be given byes in the first round proper of the competition?
- Again, there would be a two-day playoff, but without byes.
Mid 16th century (denoting a side issue or incidental matter): from the noun by.
Words that rhyme with byeally, Altai, apply, assai, awry, ay, aye, Baha'i, belie, bi, Bligh, buy, by, bye-bye, chi, Chiangmai, Ciskei, comply, cry, Cy, Dai, defy, deny, Di, die, do-or-die, dry, Dubai, dye, espy, eye, fie, fly, forbye, fry, Frye, goodbye (US goodby), guy, hereby, hi, hie, high, I, imply, I-spy, July, kai, lie, lye, Mackay, misapply, my, nearby, nigh, Nye, outfly, passer-by, phi, pi, pie, ply, pry, psi, Qinghai, rai, rely, rocaille, rye, scry, serai, shanghai, shy, sigh, sky, Skye, sky-high, sly, spin-dry, spry, spy, sty, Sukhotai, supply, Tai, Thai, thereby, thigh, thy, tie, Transkei, try, tumble-dry, underlie, Versailles, Vi, vie, whereby, why, wry, Wye, xi, Xingtai, Yantai
Short for goodbye.
- I have decided that I have run out of adjectives or maybe never had any in the first place so bye for now.
- Well, my mom's calling me because we're going to the hospital to visit my grandma, so bye for now, and pray I don't upset her.
- But anyway, you've probably got better things to do than listen to me rant, so bye for now.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.