noun (plural cabalettas or cabalette /-ˈleˌtā/)
- 1A simple aria with a repetitive rhythm.More example sentences
- The plan of cantabiles, cabalettas, multi-movement duets, and finales that served Bellini, Donizetti, and the young Verdi had been defined by him.
- The only questionable tempo is the slow one that he chooses for the cabaletta of the opera's Act Two aria.
- The duet for soprano and mezzo and its glittering cabaletta are distinguished by daring harmonics and challenging pyrotechnics.
mid 19th century: from Italian, variant ofcoboletta 'short stanza', diminutive of cobola, from Old Provençal cobla, from Latin copula 'connection'.
More definitions of cabalettaDefinition of cabaletta in:
- The British & World English dictionary