Definition of cable car in English:
1A transportation system, typically one traveling up and down a mountain, in which cabins are suspended on a continuous moving cable driven by a motor at one end of the route.
- He was the first on site, so later, when the tourists arrived in their bus, they were lucky enough to take the first cable car up the mountain.
- It was hot and after wandering around we took the cable car up the mountain for marvellous views and I climbed to the top for even better views.
- After descending Table Mountain in the revolving cable car, we then drove to nearby Signal Hill.
1.1A cabin on a cable-car system.
- It's that feeling you get when you climb out of a cable car at the top of a mountain, click into your bindings and point yourself downhill.
- This combined with altitude sickness caused to me to vomit in the cable car, right at the top of the mountain as we were going down.
2A car on a cable railroad.
- Failing to find any gin joints or speakeasies but finally getting on the right track, I hopped on the cable car at Market & Powell and rode to the end of the line: Fisherman's Wharf.
- Go and have your obligatory seafood chowder (in a sourdough bread bowl, of course), but jump on a cable car for a more scenic view of San Francisco's neighborhoods.
- They got onto the cable car that went to Taylor & Bay and then walked from there to Fisherman's Warf.
Definition of cable car in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia