(also caboched or cabossed /-ˈbäst/)
adjective[usually postpositive] Heraldry
- (Of the head of a stag, bull, etc.) shown full face with no neck visible.More example sentences
- The bear's head cabossed does not meet that criterion, and is unidentifiable when erminois.
- The official Institute of Heraldry blazon is ‘An elk's head caboshed proper.’
- According to Scotland's Lord Lyon records, heraldic seals associated with the family frequently use a stag's head cabossed as the central image associated with the coat of arms.
late 16th century: from French caboché, in the same sense.
More definitions of caboshedDefinition of caboshed in:
- The British & World English dictionary