Definition of cacodyl in English:
1A malodorous, toxic, spontaneously flammable liquid compound containing arsenic.
- Chemical formula: ((CH3)2As)2
- The investigation and identification of cacodyl by Bunsen in 1848 was to mark the beginning of the era of organometallic chemistry.
- She had previously tackled cacodyl, ogygian and zeitgeber.
- There he distilled arsenic with potassium acetate to arrive at a cacodyl (also known as alkarsine or Cadet's liquid), a malodorous compound that the named after the Greek term for ‘stinky’ (kak dl s).
Mid 19th century: from Greek kakōdēs 'stinking' (from kakos 'bad') + -yl.
Definition of cacodyl in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.