Definition of cacography in English:
Bad handwriting or spelling.
- ‘We have a national affliction, and it's called cacography - that means ‘illegible handwriting.’
- He blows off his steam with such an eagerness that he forgets for a time, or nearly forgets, his cacography.
- And yet, upon careful examination we find a method, a system, in his orthography, or rather in his cacography.
Late 16th century: from Greek kakos 'bad', on the pattern of orthography.
- Example sentences
- I need to know if there are any cacographers strong enough to write the misspell that infected her.
- I am a cacographer, though both of my uncle and aunt are calligraphers, and my mother is a painting teacher.
- The police chief, the owner of the laundromat, half of the samba band, the entire municipal council, the town floozy - they were all nematodes: roundworms, hookworms, pinworms, whipworms and cacographers.
Definition of cacography in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan