A nocturnal raccoonlike animal with a dark-ringed tail, found in North and Central America.
- Genus Bassariscus, family Procyonidae: two species, in particular B. sumichrasti of Central America. See also ring-tailed cat
More example sentences
- Humans will hunt the cacomistle for its fur and meat, and will kill it when it preys on poultry.
- In Utah I associate the cacomistle with the sandstone desert of the Colorado Plateau.
- Like their cousins the cacomistles and ringtailed cats, Kinkajous can turn their hind feet backwards, so that the clawed toes can be used when descending head-first.
mid 19th century: from Latin American Spanish cacomixtle, from Nahuatl tlacomiztli.
Definition of cacomistle in:
- The British & World English dictionary