Definition of cacomistle in English:
A nocturnal raccoonlike animal with a dark-ringed tail, found in North and Central America.
- Genus Bassariscus, family Procyonidae: two species, in particular B. sumichrasti of Central America. See also ring-tailed cat
- Humans will hunt the cacomistle for its fur and meat, and will kill it when it preys on poultry.
- In Utah I associate the cacomistle with the sandstone desert of the Colorado Plateau.
- Like their cousins the cacomistles and ringtailed cats, Kinkajous can turn their hind feet backwards, so that the clawed toes can be used when descending head-first.
Mid 19th century: from Latin American Spanish cacomixtle, from Nahuatl tlacomiztli.
Definition of cacomistle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan