Definition of caffeine in English:
A crystalline compound that is found especially in tea and coffee plants and is a stimulant of the central nervous system.
- An alkaloid, 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine; chemical formula: C8H10N4O2
- The stimulant effects of caffeine in coffee are well known to help improve energy and alertness.
- They have a similar effect to tea or coffee, since they contain the same alkaloid, caffeine.
- In flowering plant pollen tubes, caffeine disrupts vesicle zonation at the tip and stops elongation.
Mid 19th century: from French caféine, from café 'coffee'.
Words that rhyme with caffeineDelphine • Josephine
Definition of caffeine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.