A member of any of the largely self-contained communities in the bayou areas of southern Louisiana formed by descendants of French Canadians, speaking an archaic form of French.
- Rustic, self-sufficient country dwellers, Cajuns lived along the bayous and swamps of Louisiana for more than 200 years.
- Settling among the isolated bayous of southern Louisiana, Acadians would become Cajuns.
- Being from Louisiana, the Cajuns aren't used to harsh winters.
Relating to the Cajuns, especially with reference to their folk music (typically featuring the concertina, accordion, and fiddle) or spicy cuisine.
- My first visit a few months ago, which found the restaurant serving mostly fish and chips and fried chicken with nary a piece of Cajun cuisine to be found, was a big disappointment.
- It was described on the menu as one of a selection of classic steak dishes, perfected using cooking techniques from Cajun cuisine.
- The menu includes nachos, Cajun spicy chicken, Mexican salad, curries and pasta.
Alteration of Acadian.
Words that rhyme with CajunBajan, contagion, Trajan
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of Cajun in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.