Definition of calcicole in English:
A plant that grows best in calcareous soil, occurring chiefly on chalk and limestone: [as modifier]: a rich calcicole flora
More example sentences
- A lower proportion of leaf Ptot is present as water-soluble, inorganic phosphate in calcifuges than in calcicoles grown on calcareous soil.
- The Ca concentrations in calcifuge and calcicole plants growing in their natural habitats differ markedly.
- The diverse herbaceous flora included three species of calciphilic sedges, Carex albursina, Carex jamesii and Carex laxiculmis, and a fern Diplazium pycnocarpon, which is also a calcicole.
- Example sentences
- On the opposite side of the island is the richest area for calcicolous bryophytes in the county.
- The range of calcicolous plants includes kidney vetch, crested hair-grass, and wild thyme.
- Extreme limestone locations are dominated by a group of calcicolous grass-like species.
Definition of calcicole in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan