- A large volcanic crater, typically one formed by a major eruption leading to the collapse of the mouth of the volcano.More example sentences
- Instead, Io's surface is dominated by volcanic features, notably gentle shield volcanoes with summit calderas several tens of kilometres across and surrounded by radial lava flows.
- The sequential development of multiple summit calderas of shield volcanoes gives clues about how the spatial location of shallow magma chambers evolves with time and how the magma supply into these chambers evolves.
- Mayor Island is a shield volcano with a caldera in the western part of the Bay of Plenty, off the east coast of New Zealand.
late 17th century: from Spanish, from late Latin caldaria 'boiling pot'.
More definitions of calderaDefinition of caldera in:
- The British & World English dictionary