Definition of call box in English:
1North American A roadside telephone for use only in an emergency.
- I was standing on a street and saw a red emergency call box.
- That's where the Safe Tee emergency call box comes into play.
- Further back, toward the cathedral's choir section, four cast-iron emergency call boxes were arranged in front of a 30-foot-long wall of newspaper clippings about police violence.
2British A public telephone booth.
- One day I was expecting an important call so I rang my home telephone from a public call box and keyed into my messaging service to see if anyone had phoned.
- John Marshall was on the run from York Police when he telephoned his mother from a public call box in Amsterdam and told her he had nothing to lose.
- It was much easier than going to the call box outside then running back inside the shop to make my purchase.
Definition of call box in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan