Definition of callaloo in English:
1The spinachlike leaves of a tropical American plant, widely used in Caribbean cooking.
- The veggie fritters were mild with no discernible taste from the callaloo, only a back kick of geera, hot pepper and a sweet and sour tang from the chutney.
- I was quite tired when I made it home after eight, had a nice curried chicken with steamed callaloo and white rice for dinner.
- The chef, Giorgio Rusconi, roasted red snapper stuffed with a savory mixture of spinachlike callaloo and okra.
1.1A soup or stew made with callaloo leaves.
- Cost-conscious and aware of the large serving sizes, my friend and I shared a satisfying meal of rice, callaloo, stew beef, peas and macaroni pie for $28.
- It is the name given to various green leaves which form the chief ingredient of the soup called callaloo, popular in the West Indies and Brazil.
- Favorite Caribbean dishes enjoyed in St. Lucia include fish soup, callaloo and plantains prepared in many different ways.
2The plant of the arum family from which callaloo leaves are obtained.
- Genus Xanthosoma, family Araceae
- The national dish, ‘oil down,’ is a stew-like concoction made in large quantities with local vegetables such as callalou, dasheen, breadfruit, green fig, and plantain.
- Okra and sweet potatoes are important vegetables, and callaloo figures as often as it does in the West Indies.
- Beside a bed of blood-red dahlias, Samantha grows callaloo, a type of spinach popular in the West Indian community and grown from a neighbour's cuttings.
mid 18th century: from American Spanish calalú.
Definition of callaloo in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan