Definition of callaloo in English:
1The spinachlike leaves of a tropical American plant, widely used in Caribbean cooking.
- The veggie fritters were mild with no discernible taste from the callaloo, only a back kick of geera, hot pepper and a sweet and sour tang from the chutney.
- I was quite tired when I made it home after eight, had a nice curried chicken with steamed callaloo and white rice for dinner.
- The chef, Giorgio Rusconi, roasted red snapper stuffed with a savory mixture of spinachlike callaloo and okra.
1.1A soup or stew made with callaloo leaves.
- Cost-conscious and aware of the large serving sizes, my friend and I shared a satisfying meal of rice, callaloo, stew beef, peas and macaroni pie for $28.
- It is the name given to various green leaves which form the chief ingredient of the soup called callaloo, popular in the West Indies and Brazil.
- Favorite Caribbean dishes enjoyed in St. Lucia include fish soup, callaloo and plantains prepared in many different ways.
2The plant of the arum family from which callaloo leaves are obtained.
- Genus Xanthosoma, family Araceae
- The national dish, ‘oil down,’ is a stew-like concoction made in large quantities with local vegetables such as callalou, dasheen, breadfruit, green fig, and plantain.
- Okra and sweet potatoes are important vegetables, and callaloo figures as often as it does in the West Indies.
- Beside a bed of blood-red dahlias, Samantha grows callaloo, a type of spinach popular in the West Indian community and grown from a neighbour's cuttings.
Mid 18th century: from American Spanish calalú.
Definition of callaloo in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.