1A card bearing a person’s name and address, sent or left in lieu of a formal social or business visit.
- Sometimes I'll carry around calling cards and casually hand them to people I want to spend more time with.
- I don't have time to talk right now but I'll leave my calling card.
- On arrival, each dater will be given calling cards, a badge and a mission to hand out as many cards as possible to those they fancy, and hopefully they'll get some cards back.
1.1An action by which someone or something can be identified: a dog whose calling card is a savage nip at the nearest ankles
More example sentences
- The sophisticated use of stolen identities is a calling card of all these conspiracies.
- A woman helpfully explained that only six people at a time were allowed to enter the church, giving rise to the theory that the pockmarks were the calling cards of impatient tourists.
- We threw out names of authors and film directors like so many calling cards.
2A card that allows the user to make telephone calls from any phone and charge the cost to their home telephone number.
- It's not set up to chase people around the world from country to country, using cell phones and pay phones and calling cards.
- It built technology that would allow people to connect through their PCs, cable modems, or even with calling cards from pay phones.
- In past they relied on calling cards, phones or conventional postal systems.
2.1North American A prepaid card that allows the user to make telephone calls up to a specified value.
- There is no better way to connect the front lines to the home front than to provide that prepaid calling card.
- ‘The greatest opportunity for growth is from prepaid calling cards,’ said the executive, who declined to be identified as his employer is in a legally-imposed quiet period.
- Two percent even collect pre-paid calling cards.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: call·ing card
Definition of calling card in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.