Definition of campanology in English:
The art or practice of bell-ringing.
- Thus was he able to perceive connections between such seemingly disparate aspects of music as plainsong, electronics, extended piano techniques and campanology.
- Think of the etiquette of gambling casinos on display in the James Bond series or the erudition about everything from campanology to advertising agencies in Dorothy Sayers's Peter Wimsey books.
- Gissing refers to Haweis's work on campanology in a letter to his brother William on 26 February 1880.
- Example sentences
- The Ringing World more usually carries news of church restorations, peal reports, and details of various campanological festivals and meetings, but from May it began to attract a series of self submitted clinical case studies.
- Throughout the rest of Europe, the geographical variations in campanological culture are relatively minor.
- As a campanological consultant and researcher Gideon Bodden directs numerous carillon-related projects in Holland and abroad.
- Example sentences
- The church spire is being pointed and repair work is also being carried out to the bell tower from where the famous Mount St Alphonsus campanologists engulf the city with bell ringing every Sunday.
- St Batholomew's Parish Church has started training a group of budding campanologists to take part in a sponsored concert.
- Prepare to find yourself drooling like Pavlov's dog at a campanologists' convention.
Words that rhyme with campanologyanthropology, apology, archaeology (US archeology), astrology, biology, cardiology, chronology, climatology, cosmology, craniology, criminology, dermatology, ecology, embryology, entomology, epidemiology, etymology, geology, gynaecology (US gynecology), haematology (US hematology), hagiology, horology, hydrology, iconology, ideology, immunology, iridology, kidology, meteorology, methodology, musicology, mythology, necrology, neurology, numerology, oncology, ontology, ophthalmology, ornithology, parasitology, pathology, pharmacology, phraseology, phrenology, physiology, psychology, radiology, reflexology, scatology, Scientology, seismology, semiology, sociology, symbology, tautology, technology, terminology, theology, topology, toxicology, urology, zoology • eulogy • energy • synergy • apogee • liturgy • lethargy
Definition of campanology in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan