A white, volatile, crystalline substance with an aromatic smell and bitter taste, occurring in certain essential oils.
- A terpenoid ketone; chemical formula: C10H16O
More example sentences
- This treatment is a solution of camphor, nitrogen, ammonium salts and ethanol.
- We suspect that the aromatic oils, camphor, menthol and eucalyptol, are responsible for the relief.
- Farjami, oppressed by the smell of camphor, which is used in the preparation of the body for burial, reminisces about the smell of jasmine, which brings to mind spring and fresh beginnings.
Middle English: from Old French camphore or medieval Latin camphora, from Arabic kāfūr, via Malay from Sanskrit karpūra.
Definition of camphor in:
- The British & World English dictionary