Definition of campo in English:
noun (plural campos)
1 (usually the campo) (In South America, especially Brazil), a grass plain with occasional stunted trees.
- South of this are the Mato Grosso with its grassland plateau and the campos, mountain plateaux intersected by deep river valleys.
- Family farms, campos, and swaths of countryside are being seized and decimated.
2A square in an Italian or Spanish town.
- There are several banks near the campo in Piazza Tolomei, and include Banchi di Sotto and Via di Citta.
- There are thousands of people packed into the campo even for the trial races-- it's amazing.
- Near the Campo we had to walk our bikes as the streets were packed with all of the locals and tourists who had arrived for the celebrations.
From Spanish, Portuguese, and Italian campo, literally 'field'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.