A tall grass of northwestern Africa and the Canary Islands, grown for its seeds, which are fed to canaries and other caged finches.
- Genus Phalaris, family Gramineae: several species, in particular P. canariensis
More example sentences
- Fescue and reed canary grass have proven acceptable.
- During migration, they can be found in dense, moist thickets, and in the winter, they inhabit grassy, weedy, and brushy areas, especially those with exotic reed canary grass, thistle, and blackberries, often near wetlands.
- Mr Read, of New Farm, has planted trial crops of miscantus and canary grass with the aim of one day growing them on a commercial scale.
Definition of canary grass in:
- The British & World English dictionary