Definition of cannabis in English:
1A tall plant with a stiff upright stem, divided serrated leaves, and glandular hairs. It is used to produce hemp fiber and as a psychotropic drug. Also called hemp, marijuana.
- Cannabis sativa, family Cannabaceae (or Cannabidaceae): two subspecies (sometimes considered two species), C. s. sativa, which is chiefly used for hemp, and C. s. indica, from which the drug is usually obtained
- They believe the factory had grown at least one full crop of cannabis plants.
- When officers went to arrest her they found she was growing cannabis plants.
- The plant, cannabis sativa, is native to Asia, but is now widely cultivated in Europe.
1.1A dried preparation of the flowering tops or other parts of this plant, or a resinous extract of it ( cannabis resin), used (generally illegally) as a psychotropic drug, chiefly in cigarettes.
- They found drugs, including cocaine and cannabis resin, together with drugs equipment.
- Heroin and cannabis resin with an estimated street value of £120,000 was seized by the Garda National Drugs Unit as part of Operation Jumbo.
- Last March, cocaine, ecstasy and cannabis resin were found at Rear Cross on the Tipperary border, and at Hyde Road in Limerick.