Definition of cannibalize in English:
1Use (a machine) as a source of spare parts for another, similar machine: cannibalizing two broken-down cars might provide spare parts to make one working car figurative high culture should cannibalize mass culture
More example sentences
- Meanwhile, tanks and other machinery had to be cannibalised to provide spare parts for front-line equipment.
- And the Farnley Flyer, a machine whose chassis was cannibalised from two BMX bikes rescued from a dump by pupils from Farnley Park High School, Leeds, outstripped the field to win by a clear margin.
- More than half the navy was not battle-ready because of cash shortages and many vessels were being cannibalised for spare parts, he said.
1.1(Of a company) reduce the sales of (one of its products) by introducing another similar product.
- They can sell to Canada at close to marginal cost and cannibalize profitable sales in the US; or they can let Canadian generic manufacturers do it for them.
- ‘With the Escape we wanted to attract different customers, but we don't want to cannibalize Explorer sales,’ Takasawa says.
- Many industry insiders are concerned that Budweiser Select, for example, will only cannibalize sales of established brands like Bud Light.
2(Of an animal) eat (an animal of its own kind): female spiders cannibalize courting males
More example sentences
- When females encounter larvae more than 20 h before their own larvae hatch, they invariably kill these larvae, and some females cannibalize larvae hatching 9-12 h before their own.
- Weekly censuses continued until 10 September 2000, when new wasps were no longer eclosing and gynes (future foundresses) were cannibalizing larvae.
- The golden orb-web spider Nephila plumipes frequently cannibalizes males both before and during copulation.
- Example sentences
- Newspaper companies will begin to ask the proper questions about digital media, instead of simply mumbling about cannibalization and print.
- The extent of internet cannibalisation in classified advertising is as yet unknown.
- Where there used to be insight, there is now only cannibalisation of older, bigger ideas.
Definition of cannibalize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan