Definition of canonic in English:
- Nevertheless, in some of the ‘Gloria’ sections of his canticles Purcell indulges in ingenious canonic writing, inspired it seems by earlier examples by Child and Blow.
- The title is not random; canonic counterpoint gives this music its hermetic quality, and one can draw parallels between the music's busy patterns and the busy patterns of city living.
- The work mixes long, singing lines with fugal and canonic sections.
- Highly prominent within this prolific output of Marian images are three canonic oil-pastel-on-paper portraits by Yolanda Lopez of herself, her mother, and grandmother, each in the guise of la Guadalupana.
- The staged play of this canonic text includes snatches of 50 poems in the first act, and a 60-minute adaptation of Beautiful Losers, Cohen's still-controversial second novel, in the second.
- However, he is at pains to point out that there is no one author of the canonic interpretation of a particular building; it is developed collectively over time, the cumulative, filtered effect of many previous responses.
Old English (as a noun): from Old French canonique or Latin canonicus 'canonical', from Greek kanonikos, from kanon 'rule' (see canon1). The adjective dates from the late 15th century.
Words that rhyme with canonicanachronic, animatronic, bionic, Brythonic, bubonic, Byronic, carbonic, catatonic, chalcedonic, chronic, colonic, conic, cyclonic, daemonic, demonic, diatonic, draconic, electronic, embryonic, euphonic, harmonic, hegemonic, histrionic, homophonic, hypersonic, iconic, ionic, ironic, isotonic, laconic, macaronic, Masonic, Miltonic, mnemonic, monotonic, moronic, Napoleonic, philharmonic, phonic, Platonic, Plutonic, polyphonic, quadraphonic, sardonic, saxophonic, siphonic, Slavonic, sonic, stereophonic, subsonic, subtonic, symphonic, tectonic, Teutonic, thermionic, tonic, transonic, ultrasonic
Definition of canonic in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.