Definition of canonist in English:
An expert in canon law.
- Some canonists argued on the pope's authority as ‘vicar of Christ,’ because the pope, being something more than a man, can put asunder a marriage!
- The same change of perspective might equally apply in our attitudes about the canons, and canonists, generally.
- It is for that reason he insists that the canonist exercises a church ministry - a ministry that ramifies to everything from liturgical celebration to pastoral strategies of various kinds.
- Example sentences
- Las Casas had to use the canonistic tradition in a situation that the canonists had never envisioned.
- Aquinas sets out simply to clarify and systematize received theological and canonistic teachings on the Jews.
- And, even then, a dissident antipapal council assembled in 1511 at Pisa, stimulating a great outflow of canonistic and theological writings in defence of the Conciliar theory.
Definition of canonist in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan