Definition of cantonment in English:
1A military garrison or camp.
- The entry of vehicles on the roads opposite cantonments has been restricted.
- Meanwhile, the Raising day of the 15 Corps of the Army was celebrated with traditional fervour at the Badami Bagh cantonment here.
- The most important element in security sector reform is securing the future of Maoist soldiers residing in cantonments.
1.1 historical A permanent military station in British India.
- The Sepoys in India in 1857 who rebelled against their British officers often invaded the British cantonments and attacked their women.
- Having grown up in British cantonments as the son of an army officer, I knew how the British lived in India.
- Lord Carrington, the British foreign secretary, hoping thereby to preserve a white cantonment, floated the idea of partitioning South Africa just before Nelson Mandela was released from prison.
Definition of cantonment in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan