Definition of canvasback in English:
A North American diving duck with a long, sloping black bill, related (and with similar coloring) to the pochard, common in Eurasia.
- Aythya valisineria, family Anatidae
- The ponds also attract black ducks, canvasbacks, American wigeons, lesser and greater scaups, green- and blue-winged teal, cinnamon teal, and herons.
- From time to time, the pond has hosted the locally rare redhead, a member of the group to which scaup, the canvasback and ring-necked duck belong.
- Two ducks common in the winter marsh - the canvasback and greater scaup - are now up in the Yukon and the Seward Peninsula.
late 16th century: so named because of the white back of the male.
Definition of canvasback in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan