noun (plural same or Cape coloreds)
(In South Africa) a person of mixed ethnic descent resident in the Western Cape Province, speaking Afrikaans or English as their first language, and typically not a Muslim. Compare with Cape Malay.
- In addition, 133 blacks had become Cape coloureds, one black had become a Griqua and one Cape coloured had become a Malay.
- During the apartheid era, they were called the Cape coloureds.
- In South Africa, that group is called the Cape coloureds.
Relating to Cape colored people.
- D' Oliveira, originally born in South Africa in 1931, was designated Cape coloured, and hence had no chance of establishing a career in cricket in his home country.
- I meet the Cape coloured workers who have transformed themselves, from self-confessed illiterate drunkards into entrepreneurs who paid for their own representative to attend the London Wine Show two years ago.
- The Commission was established to study data on the Cape coloured population, and although some of the testimonials are in Afrikaans, most of this material is in English.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: Cape col·ored
Definition of Cape colored in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.