Definition of cape gooseberry in English:
1A soft, edible, yellow berry enclosed in a husk that resembles a lantern in shape.
- At the moment he has cabbages, mielies, onions, Chinese cabbage, baby marrow, Cape gooseberry, spanspek and cherry tomatoes.
- The most common use for Cape gooseberries is to make them into jam, for spreading on toast.
- Often called goldenberries, Cape gooseberries are starting to appear in gourmet stores here in the U.S.
2The tropical South American plant that has heart-shaped leaves and that bears this fruit.
- Physalis peruviana, family Solanaceae
- In the understorey are monsteras, warrigal greens, more Cape gooseberries, and numerous self-sown annuals and biennials, as well as many shade-loving ornamentals.
- As a result some volunteer plants grew in the bed - she has left the Cape gooseberries and composted the rest.
- The foliage of the Cape gooseberry is velvety, heart-shaped, and may reach 6 in long.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India