noun (plural capitanos)
- (In Italy or among Italian speakers) a captain or chief (used chiefly as a form of address).More example sentences
- Well over half a million dollars will be paid out by the capitano, or ‘manager’, of the victorious contrada, not only to his own jockey, but to the capitani of friendly contradas who helped him out in the race.
- And while they may believe that their fate is in God's hands, Appel suggests the outcomes have more to do with the shadowy dealings of the capitanos who pair the horses with the jockeys.
- In turn, the state, blustering about the end of civilization like the swaggering capitano of the commedia dell'arte, plays the villainous authority who thwarts the inamorati.
More definitions of capitanoDefinition of capitano in:
- The British & World English dictionary