Definition of caraway in English:
1 (also caraway seed) The seeds of a plant of the parsley family, used for flavoring and as a source of oil.
- Half were given Lomatol, a German herbal preparation containing peppermint, fennel seed, caraway seed and wormwood.
- I love their piney, resinous, spicy smell, but you could add a teaspoonful of caraway seed - an old friend of the cabbage - instead.
- Because kitchens of yore had limited ingredients, bakers often flavored cookies with dates, rose water, or caraway seed.
2The white-flowered Mediterranean plant which bears caraway seeds.
- Carum carvi, family Umbelliferae
- The most popular ones have umbrella shaped flowers such as fennel, dill, cilantro, caraway, angelica, tansy, wild carrot & yarrow.
- Angelica belongs to the Umbellifer family and is of similar habit to dill, fennel, caraway and lovage.
- One warning: do not plant near beans, caraway, tomatoes, coriander or wormwood-they do not work well together.
Definition of caraway in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan