1A binary compound of carbon with an element of lower or comparable electronegativity.
- Borides, carbides, oxides, and nonmetallic particles in the melt are scavenged and then concentrated in localized regions within the cast structure.
- Titanium can reduce carbon in austenite by forming very stable carbides.
- How stable the carbides are depends on how the element is partitioned between the cementite and the matrix.
1.1Calcium carbide (CaC2), used to generate acetylene by reaction with water and formerly used in portable lamps: [as modifier]: a carbide lamp
More example sentences
- There was a narrow track from the road down to the farm and in the dark with only carbide lamps on the fire engine they went off the track and got stuck.
- The store stocks candles, flashlights, carbide and hurricane lamps, solar-powered attic fans and much more.
- By now our carbide lamps were providing only a pathetically small amount of illumination.
Definition of carbide in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.