1A copy of written or typed material made with carbon paper.
- What is anyone going to say that won't be a carbon copy of what we wrote after 9 / 11, after Bali, after Beslan, after Madrid?
- Pupils wishing to leave school during the day will be given a carbon copy of a signed slip on production of an appropriate letter, note or telephone call that must then be carried with them.
- In more ways than one, because there were no photocopiers, and even if you had made a carbon copy when you typed out your book, that copy was likely to be somewhat untidy.
1.1A person or thing identical or very similar to another: Karl was a carbon copy of his father
More example sentences
- The sounds are nothing groundbreaking, but at least each song is not a carbon copy of the previous track.
- But why make a carbon copy of the original version?
- In other cricket, the second England v Zimbabwe match was a carbon copy of the first.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: car·bon cop·y
Definition of carbon copy in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.